Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Part 13: The Great Chancellor

          "Wow, you're pretty good at this." Ellen commented. I merely nodded, then continued to speak.

          The next morning we awoke and Z's cloak was back to normal, which was strange, but I could not get a word out of Z about it. I could only deduce that it was not only a symbol for him, but also his actual power source, which explained why it was valued so highly and why it grew back through the night. He seemed to be in a much better mood even though his cloak was stolen. "Would you like some fried eggs?" He said while cooking on a frying pan. I nodded, surprised that he knew how to cook. He noted my surprise, explaining: "Cooking's usually a woman's work, but I can't risk the same thing as last time. The less travel, the better." I nodded in response.
           We quickly sneaked from alley to alley, which was difficult under the bright daylight, but no enemy of Z seemed to appear from anyways. Finally we reached this church, where we saw a crouching old woman, sitting near a table, reading a book. "Ahhh, you are here, dear Z. Who's your friend here?" Z quickly explained the situation, and I embellished upon the details. She responded with many nods along with questions. After we finished she was quite surprised. She took out some reading glasses from her pocket and shuffled around until she went into her room. Peeking into the window, I saw a book. She frowned as she flipped through it, as she read some part of it. Finally she came back. "We will have to test your worthiness," she said with a glint in her eye, and a dramatic pause "...can you deduce my age?"
         I was absolutely speechless. I saw her white hair and wrinkly face. I had already known she was old. Was this a trick question? I had no clue where to begin. She might as well be a 20 year old disguised as a 80 year old. She could be 100 years old but disguising as 60 years old really well. Looking around, I saw a banner celebrating her birthday--so it was a trick question! "87 years old, madam!" I stated. She smiled a senile smile, chuckling.
        "It does seem he thinks before he acts," she commented, "and it does seem your story is true, especially since Z believes you. There's not a lot of people that he trusts. In any case, it's much easier to defeat your demon father than you think. He is best at subterfuge and undercover work, but he has been forced to work things into his own hands and reveal himself many times. If you turn the tables against him and instead do the dirty work yourself, you just may be able to assassinate him."
        Z looked at her in disbelief. "You really think he will be able to kill his father?? Firstly, I don't think he's that cold-blooded, and secondly, what if it was all part of a mentally deranged mind? Even I only hear shady rumors."
        The senile woman nodded while pulling out some glasses out of her pocket. "Well, that's what you think, but I think I know what you're talking about. You did mention the Judge, didn't you?" I nodded in response. "Well, young man, you're in luck. He actually visited us once since he sensed "unusual energy fluctuations within the atmosphere", as so he said himself. He's quite a talkative one, at that!" She chuckled once more, "So here's the thing. He gave us a book, a guiding book, created by those who studied the possible outcomes of everything concerning the strange events that kept on happening in his world as well as our world. Together, I believe we will be able to figure out exactly who your father is working for, and how to get to him."
        So we started reading the book. It wasn't quite as exciting as the book that I was currently reading about myself, but it was intriguing nevertheless. The book described animals disappearing off into nowhere near the midst of the night while all was dark, yet when the Judge went to check upon them, there was not a trace to be found....
 
    To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment